"If I think more about death than some other people, it is probably because I love life more than they do."
~ Angelina Jolie
According to “experts” the world will end on December 21, 2012, though the time of the alleged doom of mankind will occur has yet to be revealed. I guess all we can do for now is to wait for Planet X to enter our earth’s orbit, or the ice caps to melt causing the oceans to over flow into the streets of L.A. and New York. Or perhaps we’ll be sucked into a black hole (after the sun explodes of course). Or MAYBE the Middle East will admit they own weapons of Mass Destruction and team up with China to nuke us all just because they can.
As with any myth or rumor created to strike fear into the hearts of people, the film industry has decided to (once again) capitalize on another “end of the world” theory with the movie “2012” (due out in November of this year). The movie is based on the Mayan’s belief that the earth will be renewed on December 21, 2012, which is also the day their calendar ends. Basically they believed the earth would be “changed” via another Noah’s Ark type of event. However, this time the natural disasters will be a result of global warming instead of Divine Intervention. But did the early indigenous people possess something we do not in order to know of a certainty when mankind will be wiped off the earth, or were they just superstitious and believed that when their calendar ended so would the world? What about all the previous Dooms Day revelations? Remember January 1, 2000? How about September 9, 1999? Or even the religiously driven June 6, 2006? While I don’t fully disagree that the world will end at some point, I don’t believe anyone besides our Creator knows the date or by what means it’ll come to pass.
Something that amused me while I researched the 2012 superstition was that the familiar men holding signs warning of the coming end are leaving the streets and moving to cyberspace (if it’s on the internet it MUST be true right?). But what disturbed me is that there are groups of people taking advantage of people’s fear of destruction by posting sites like http://www.thisistheend.com/, http://www.instituteforhumancontinuity.org/. Since I followed these two links directly from the official movie site I don’t believe they are REAL sites set up by actual “save the world” organizations but is instead a viral marketing tool similar to the ones used during the Cloverfield movie release (http://www.1-18-08.com/ http://www.slusho.jp/, http://tidowave.com/blog/, http://tagruato.jp/index2.php). Sure it's all in good fun, I admit I loved that Cloverfield was more than just a movie because of the viral sites, but what about the people who are gullible enough to believe the world will end in 2012? A desperate person is a dangerous thing to cross… Even if it is for entertainment purposes only, why tempt fate? I sound slightly hypocritical for praising "Cloverfield"'s sites but shaking my head at "2012"'s, the difference to me is who's going to believe a giant sea monster is attacking NYC? Impending global destruction is more likely to happen and therefore a legitimate fear.
If you feel spooked about the Mayan 2012 prediction, I suggest reading this site’s article regarding 12/21/12 http://www.universetoday.com/2008/05/19/no-doomsday-in-2012/.
Come November I will more than likely go see “2012” since I’m a sucker for disaster movies like The Day After Tomorrow, Cloverfield and I Am Legend, but I don’t think we should worry any more about what happens 4 years and 9 months from now than we do about tomorrow or next week. The world WILL eventually see a “renewal”, but who knows how or when that will happen. I believe that as long as you’re satisfied with your life and strive to live to be the best person you can be there should be nothing to fear.
~ Angelina Jolie
According to “experts” the world will end on December 21, 2012, though the time of the alleged doom of mankind will occur has yet to be revealed. I guess all we can do for now is to wait for Planet X to enter our earth’s orbit, or the ice caps to melt causing the oceans to over flow into the streets of L.A. and New York. Or perhaps we’ll be sucked into a black hole (after the sun explodes of course). Or MAYBE the Middle East will admit they own weapons of Mass Destruction and team up with China to nuke us all just because they can.
As with any myth or rumor created to strike fear into the hearts of people, the film industry has decided to (once again) capitalize on another “end of the world” theory with the movie “2012” (due out in November of this year). The movie is based on the Mayan’s belief that the earth will be renewed on December 21, 2012, which is also the day their calendar ends. Basically they believed the earth would be “changed” via another Noah’s Ark type of event. However, this time the natural disasters will be a result of global warming instead of Divine Intervention. But did the early indigenous people possess something we do not in order to know of a certainty when mankind will be wiped off the earth, or were they just superstitious and believed that when their calendar ended so would the world? What about all the previous Dooms Day revelations? Remember January 1, 2000? How about September 9, 1999? Or even the religiously driven June 6, 2006? While I don’t fully disagree that the world will end at some point, I don’t believe anyone besides our Creator knows the date or by what means it’ll come to pass.
Something that amused me while I researched the 2012 superstition was that the familiar men holding signs warning of the coming end are leaving the streets and moving to cyberspace (if it’s on the internet it MUST be true right?). But what disturbed me is that there are groups of people taking advantage of people’s fear of destruction by posting sites like http://www.thisistheend.com/, http://www.instituteforhumancontinuity.org/. Since I followed these two links directly from the official movie site I don’t believe they are REAL sites set up by actual “save the world” organizations but is instead a viral marketing tool similar to the ones used during the Cloverfield movie release (http://www.1-18-08.com/ http://www.slusho.jp/, http://tidowave.com/blog/, http://tagruato.jp/index2.php). Sure it's all in good fun, I admit I loved that Cloverfield was more than just a movie because of the viral sites, but what about the people who are gullible enough to believe the world will end in 2012? A desperate person is a dangerous thing to cross… Even if it is for entertainment purposes only, why tempt fate? I sound slightly hypocritical for praising "Cloverfield"'s sites but shaking my head at "2012"'s, the difference to me is who's going to believe a giant sea monster is attacking NYC? Impending global destruction is more likely to happen and therefore a legitimate fear.
If you feel spooked about the Mayan 2012 prediction, I suggest reading this site’s article regarding 12/21/12 http://www.universetoday.com/2008/05/19/no-doomsday-in-2012/.
Come November I will more than likely go see “2012” since I’m a sucker for disaster movies like The Day After Tomorrow, Cloverfield and I Am Legend, but I don’t think we should worry any more about what happens 4 years and 9 months from now than we do about tomorrow or next week. The world WILL eventually see a “renewal”, but who knows how or when that will happen. I believe that as long as you’re satisfied with your life and strive to live to be the best person you can be there should be nothing to fear.
2 comments:
ah, well said.
That is too funny!
Oh, and I love you too! You're such a doll! Thanks for taking time to read my complaints! lol. I'll try and get something postive up soon!
Post a Comment