Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Alala

Music I think you should listen to (because I want it to replace the Katy Perry, Pink crap on the radio). Some artists/bands are signed but haven't hit mainstream radio yet, and some are not signed (to my knowledge) but deserve their own tour bus and groupies. I've noticed since compiling this list that one of the biggest reasons I love each one is because
a) They are upbeat and positive;
b) They are original sounding, making them easily distinguishable; and last but not least
c) Everyone involved has made music and upliftment their life. They recognize the power and influence music has on mankind, and have dedicated their time and energy into sharing their talents with the world.

Granted some of these may not be your taste, but I'm sure you'll find something you like and I hope you share it with friends, family, loved ones. Maybe even your not so loved ones too. However, without further ado and in no particular order here is my list:

1. Lights - A three person band originally from Toronto Canada led by the cutest female singer ever. They sound like what I imagine Trix cereal would if the little guys decided to speak and form a band. Lights are finally making their international debut by appearing on the Warped Tour this year but I suggest you take a listen here http://www.myspace.com/lights.

2. Shark Speed - Their Myspace says that they were "started by two brothers and completed with two friends", Jared and Joe Christensen, Jared Ringger and Thayne Fagg to be exact. If you like bands like the Killers, Rooney or Mae then you'll enjoy what Shark Speed has to offer the music world. Defined as Progressive Rock, one of my favorite things about their sound (besides the lyrics) is the Ska influence that deftly weaves itself in and out of every song. Even though they are an unsigned regional band they manage to have their harmony down pat and sound like a group of bona fide professionals. I truly believe that all they need is more exposure to expand their fanbase and I know they'll become the next big thing. They're supposed to play a set at First Friday this week but I suggest you check them out here if you can't make it to their gig. http://www.myspace.com/sharkspeedrawks.
*Side note - Jared and Joe are Russ' cousins (well my cousins too now I guess).

3. Air Raid Anthem - I was first introduced to this incredible band late 2007 while attending a friend's concert at Jillian's. ARA was the headlining act (for good reason) so I'd already heard my friend's band play their set but decided to hang around to hear the next act since the crowd was noticably growing larger for them. As soon as I heard the first chords play out I was automatically hooked on their music and have been waiting for the release of their EP ever since. Though their music is pleasing to the ear, the best thing about ARA is the lyrics written from personal experiences. And I am excited to say that this year they will be kicking off their first tour, and encourage those of you who are able to attend one or all of their shows to go and show your support. Like Shark Speed, Air Raid Anthem possess incredible harmony and just need a little more exposure before making it to the big time. Show them love here http://www.myspace.com/airraidanthem.

4. Bedouin Soundclash - Another amazing group from Canada. I discovered Bedouin Soundclash after listening to a compilation punk album back in 2005 but have yet to hear them on the radio. Their Reggae/Dub beats have Soul and Rock influences that I absolutely love! And in the tradition of true Reggae, their lyrics are always upbeat and soul inspiring, making the listener forget the world if only for the duration of a single song. I will quote my friend Sam Peterson whenever he loves something and say that Bedouin Soundclash has the power to restore peace to the earth. So drop your worldly luggage here http://www.myspace.com/bedouinsoundclash.

5. Guano Apes - Sure their name is unusual... But their sound is incredible for a German rock band (don't worry the songs are in English)! I'm not one for chick singers but the chick who does lead vocals for this band deviates far from the typical angsty/whiney sounding female group. Myspace likens them to No Doubt during their Ska years and I'd have to agree. If the band No Doubt had sex with System Of A Down and had a love child they'd name it Guano Apes. Enough said http://www.myspace.com/gapes.

0 comments: