Tuesday, January 20, 2009

We're All Stars Now In The Dope Show

"The drugs they say make us
feel so hollow,
We love in vain narcissistic
and so shallow...
They love you when you're on
all the covers,
When you're not then they
love another...
We're all stars now in the
dope show."
~ Marilyn Manson - The Dope
Show
I’m sure everyone and their cat is, or will be blogging about the presidential inauguration today, so I'll try to keep this one short.
I’ve developed a sort of resistance to pop culture and the media by refusing to encourage discussion of the “latest and greatest” in the “news”. Whether it’s Britney’s latest breakdown, Angelina’s new Ethiopian baby (I still love Angie, I just respect her privacy as a human despite her celebrity status), or Obama’s promise of change. My method of non-conformity is to speak my mind only once on how I feel regarding a topic, and then refuse to willingly bring it up again. I am not going to lie; I am guilty of harping on things – just not what is in the media. Britney Spears doesn’t wear underwear? Neither does Kirstie Alley, but how often is that talked about? Brad Pitt cheated on Jennifer Aniston with Angelina Jolie while they were still married? So did Prince Charles while he was married to Princess Diana so why don’t we harp on that? After all he is part of the royal family…
Speaking of unfaithful Brits…
Jude Law cheated on Sienna Miller with their child’s nanny during the same time the “Brangelina” term was coined, yet why aren’t we hearing about that on People, Us, GQ and Marie Claire every other week? Because they (Jude and Sienna) don’t feed into the media’s demands of hot gossip and America doesn’t care enough to notice. So why is that? Possibly because Brad and Angelina are considered more attractive? They make more money? They appear to be a happy couple and that’s not permissible considering the basis of their relationship? Who know. But as much as I love Angelina, she needs to stop allowing her relationship with Brad to be a topic of discussion during interviews. The same goes for Jennifer. She was hurt by Brad’s infidelity but says she’s moved on? Then prove you’ve moved on and stop talking about it during every conversation with the media.

So Obama has been painted as a political messiah by the media, he’s supposed to prove to all the Republicans that a peaceful and successful country requires liberal standards and practices. I don’t support the actions that took place during the Bush administration, but I don’t believe Socialism will remedy the wounds our Country is currently nursing. Why don’t you pour Liquid Plumber into a gun shot wound and see how well that aides your affliction.

I am anti-mania but that doesn’t mean that I am completely indifferent to the world surrounding me. I was raised by a very politically active family, so naturally I am passionate about the things I believe in. My mother who was born six years after the end of WWII; was just a little girl when Russian satellites launched into space, she witnessed the end of racial segregation, wars on Communism, was sitting in shop class during middle school when the assassination of JFK was announced over the intercom. And of course she experienced first hand the revolution of rock and roll from Elvis’ controversial hip gyrations, the Beatles take over of the world, Bob Dylan’s insightful lyrics and Jimi Hendrix’ radical guitar skills.

People say Obama is an extraordinary public speaker, but so was Hitler. Everyone loves how “fashionable” Obama and his wife Michelle dress… Anyone want to nominate David and Victoria Beckham as First Couple?

Obama may be a well dressed public speaker, but it takes more than an ability to read Teleprompters in a tailored suit to become a successful leader of this country.
So in conclusion I'll summarize my rant. America chooses what makes the headline news, celebrities are the new golden calf and manufactured young politicians are more qualified to lead a 233 year old country than an old war veteran because a generation of Welfare abusing, MTV brats deems it so.

1 comments:

meghan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.