Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Where Can I Turn For Peace?

For a long time I didn’t know what to write about. Because it’s been so long since my last post, there are a TON of things I want to write about. Lots of great things have happened, at the end of October my mom and I rode on a train to Oregon and visited my uncle, and he survived a surgery where the odds of him surviving were 50/50. I went to the Aviation Nation air show held at Nellis AFB a couple weeks ago with my mom, and Russ’ family. I got to go shooting with a bunch of friends last weekend… The Twilight movie comes out Thursday at midnight and I am incredibly excited to go see that.

But the one thing that encouraged me to finally sit down and write a post is this: http://www.cougarboard.com/nologin/message.html?id=4213999.

How can so many people preach about tolerance, when they don’t have any themselves? I understand that they are angry about Proposition 8, but how will harassing the LDS church help their case? Just because the members of the LDS church weren’t quiet about where they stand on the issue, does that mean that the gay/lesbian community has a right to defile our temples and attack our church members? I have a gay best friend who was once LDS that I love dearly; I want him to be happy in life. But I also know that according to Heavenly Father’s plan for His children, homosexuality is not a natural, normal thing. Jesus said “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.” There’s a reason Christ listed loving God before loving our neighbor. My theory is that if we loved our neighbor more than God, therefore putting him before Him. Then we are inclined to follow the footsteps of men, and not the path Christ laid before us in fear of offending our "neighbor". But if we love God first and above all things we can’t go wrong. Why is it that we have to accept homosexuality as a normal thing, but they don't want to accept heterosexuality or traditional famliy structures in their community? During the time of WWII gay people were persecuted just as violently as the jewish people were, yet today they've (the homosexual people) gained a new face of bravery and have turned the tables on the rest of the population by exhibting anger and violent behaviors.
What kind of world have we created that:
If you practice religion and/or believe in Christ, you are persectued and forced to omit any reference to God.
If you are a republican opposed to voting for a democrat president who so happens to be black, then that makes you racist.
If you vote for proposition 8, that makes you a homophobe.
If you are a woman that supports pro-life, then Susan B. Anthony must be rolling in her grave.
WRONG!
I practice religion because it is my God given right, a right America was established on.
I voted against Obama not because of his color, but because of his lack of experience and plan for America.
I supported Proposition 8 not because I'm a homophobe, but because I believe in steady traditional family structures (tell me, how many gay couples can remain in a monongamous relationship longer than 2 years without leaving one another because of issues?)
Being pro-life doesn't make me anti-feminist. Choosing family over worldly success doesn't make me anti-feminism. If any thing feminism was originally fought for, for equality and freedom to choose. How is choosing my family over what the world expects wrong?
A strong raging anger runs through my mind whenever I hear about people polluting our temples with their signs and graffiti and persecuting church members. But I have to remember that as hard as it may be, Heavenly Father expects me to not respond out of anger or violence to this riotous behavior. I guess history has a way of repeating itself, I wonder just how much we’re doomed to repeat… Persecution of religion, economic decline, civil unrest… I have a feeling the next four years are going to be written about in history text books and not in positive manner.

As members we’ve all been warned to be prepared, He knew from the beginning that a lot of His children, our own brothers and sisters would call evil good and good evil, the Book of Mormon records that it’s happened before. All we can do is have faith and remember that in the end everything will be alright.
I'm opening a can of worms with this blog. So be it. Last time I checked, I still had the right of Freedom of speech. If I have to sit back and let offenses roll off me, then others can sit back and let this roll off of them.
After all, we all want equal rights...Right?

1 comments:

Amy said...

not to not comment about this entry (because it is good) but we want to see pics of the ring and hear the story!!!!!!!!!!!